The Montgomery County Food Council (MCFC) is an independent nonprofit that is leading the way to a more healthful and sustainable community by connecting stakeholders in a collaborative effort to address the broad range of issues connected to the food system in Montgomery County. The activities of the Food Council are accomplished primarily through our Working Groups, led by Council Members and populated by concerned residents with a shared commitment to making a positive impact in our food system: Food Recovery and Access, Food Economy, Food Literacy and Environmental Impact. The Food Council is currently seeking a self-motivated, skilled, and goal-oriented Digital Media Intern who is passionate about communications and dedicated to enhancing our local food system.
This is a primarily work- from-home internship with occasional travel to meeting and event sites within Montgomery County, MD. A minimum of 8-10 hours per week is required, but the hours are flexible and wage is negotiable. The Digital Media Intern will report to the Food Council Development and Communications Manager.
Position Description: The Digital Media Intern will have the opportunity to work on day-to-day digital and social media efforts, including assisting with MCFC’s website and contributing to the organization’s social media channels. Roles and responsibilities include:
- Create content for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, including engaging with and sharing partners’ posts
- Post and track results of social media efforts
- Work with staff members to strategize new ways to share MCFC’s mission with a broader audience and grow our social media following
- Update website content, write website content (blogs), resize images, and perform other related tasks as assigned
- Coordinate guest posts by Working Group and community partners
- Provide administrative support to the Working Groups and the overall Food Council as needed
The ideal candidate will have the following skills/attributes:
- In progress or completed Bachelor’s Degree, with an interest in digital media or relevant experience
- Experience with website content management systems, particularly WordPress
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and organized
- High level of accuracy and an attention to detail
- Strong professional communication and writing skills
- Knowledge of food system issues preferred
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and writing sample (2 pages maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15th with the subject line “Digital Media Internship Application.” No phone calls please.