The MoCo Made initiative was first launched in Fall 2017 in partnership with the Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation to highlight our County’s vibrant local food and beverage sector. The MoCo Made initiative is intended to offer resources and support to local farms and food and beverage producers, and to increase the visibility and awareness of the diverse products made and grown here in Montgomery County. In a recent survey, 69% of MoCo Made businesses indicated that their businesses have benefited from their participation in MoCo Made, with 47% citing an increase in brand recognition and 42% citing an increase in new individual customers in just the first year of the program.
Since launching MoCo Made, we have partnered with local retailers who carry products featured in the Guide to promote MoCo Made and identify the store as a place to buy MoCo Made products, as well as by providing copies of the Guide for any visitor to the store to browse or to keep. More than 20 local retailers, farmers markets, and breweries are now displaying MoCo Made branded window decals, shelf signage, and stickers to make it easier for consumers and buyers to identify Montgomery County products, and to support the farmers and artisans producing foods and beverages here in our County. In addition, MCFC launched its MoCo Made marketplace on eBay in 2018, enabling residents to purchase t-shirts, onesies and pint glasses bearing the MoCo Made logo.
Benefits of Joining the MoCo Made Movement
When your business registers for the MoCo Made Program, you will receive:
- A featured listing in our 2019 Food and Beverage Guide:
- Print edition with estimated distribution of 3,000 copies at local retailers such as Dawson’s Market, Butler’s Farm Market, Central Farm Markets, Olney Farmers and Artists Market, and more.
- Online searchable format to be launched in Fall 2019.
- Access to MoCo Made marketing resources:
- MoCo Made logo digital files for use on your website, social media, packaging, signage, and more
- MoCo Made marketing materials, such as window decals, shelf signage, and stickers
- Sample social media content
- Potential opportunity to be featured in the Food Council’s Meet the Maker blog series or social media campaigns
- Invitations to Exclusive networking opportunities:
- Special public engagement events, such as MoCo Made Happy Hours
- Access to MoCo Made producer networks including online community
- Engagement with other producers and community stakeholders and opportunities to be a featured business at monthly Working Group meetings
- Buyer engagement opportunities:
- Educational Resources:
- Training opportunities, such as our pitch practice session held in January 2019
- Panels featuring food industry experts, discussing subjects such as scaling a business
- Site visits and tours
- Insider access to local food economy news and other educational opportunities
How to Participate
Registration is now open–don’t miss out! To be included in the MoCo Made program this year, please:
- REGISTER: Complete the registration form linked here. Priority registration deadline is August 1st.
- SUBMIT PAYMENT: Pay online using the link sent to you via an electronic invoice upon completion of the registration form. Or, pay by check to “Montgomery County Food Council”, 4825 Cordell Avenue, Suite 204, Bethesda, MD 20814 within two weeks of registering.
- The cost of registration is $35 for a one-year membership, $50 for a two-year membership, $70 for a three-year membership.
Please note: MoCo Made Program participation is limited to businesses with their headquarters or production facilities in Montgomery County.