Please find below relevant information about food assistance resources, and opportunities for individuals and organizations to support community needs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
(SPANISH LANGUAGE VERSION, Courtesy of the Office of Councilmember Nancy Navarro)
Click on the links below to jump to each section or page:
Food Access Resources
- Food Assistance Resource Map: Location, hours, and eligibility guidelines for 100+ sites in Montgomery County where residents can access food and benefits application assistance.
- Please note that hours of operation for providers listed in the Food Assistance Resource Directory are subject to change, pending closures and staff availability during the COVID-19 outbreak. Please call ahead to verify opening hours.
- As of 3/17, Capital Area Food Bank Community Hubs in Montgomery County remain open.
- Food Assistance Provider COVID-19 Response Tracking Document: This document aims to provide an accurate picture of the current operations of food assistance organizations in our County, as well as best practices being implemented at food assistance providers, and the specific needs that providers have during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Several local food retailers have extended their hours for elderly and immunocompromised shoppers. Click here to learn more.
- Join our weekly COVID-19 food security call for the most up-to-date information on local food assistance efforts.
Benefits Support Services
- Maryland Hunger Solutions Toll-free Phone Line for SNAP Application Assistance Sessions (1-866-821-5552)
All CCI WIC Centers are closed to the public, however they continue to provide all essential services (appointments, benefits, support services) via phone: 301-762-9426
Crossroads Farmers Market will plan to open as scheduled on April 15th from 11am-3pm. Please note that Crossroads will match all SNAP purchases without limit (normally it is only up to $20) through the end of May.
- Montgomery County Public Schools Division of Food and Nutrition Services will provide free meals to children in 40+ community locations.
- Jimmy Johns (Gaithersburg and Germantown) is offering $1 meals to all elementary and middle school students between 11am-1pm while schools are closed.
- Common Threads: Curriculum and Resources for Children and Families impacted by COVID-19
- Grocery Delivery Options: Peapod, Wegmans
- Senior Connection Shoppers Program: Grocery assistance for senior residents
- Meal Delivery Options:
- Villages: The Villages Programs are found at various locations throughout the County, and are offering grocery assistance and other volunteer support to our senior community.
- Medical Reserve Corps: This volunteer-led organization is comprised of healthcare professionals and community members that can offer grocery assistance, meal delivery, etc. to seniors during this emergency.
- Prepared Meals are also available for grab-and-go at Senior Congregate Meal Sites for enrolled participants (Damascus, Holiday Park, Schweinhaut, and White Oak) each Wednesday.
- Meals on Wheels is continuing to conduct home deliveries to seniors throughout the County.
- Montgomery County: Registration for Senior Nutrition Program
- Montgomery County Transportation Resources for Adults over 50
For those who are healthy and interested in volunteering, please find information below on opportunities with some of our partner organizations.
- Montgomery County Volunteer Center
- Capital Area Food Bank
- Manna Food Center
- KIND: Kids in Need Distributors
- Community Food Rescue
- #GiveaMeal to a friend, neighbor, or stranger in need through Geppetto Catering.
- Montgomery County Volunteer Center: Guidance for Non-Clinical Volunteers
- Resource List from Initiative for a Competitive Inner City
- Business Resource List from Cureate
- Maryland Farmers Market Association: Recommendations for Market Vendors and Shoppers
- Resources for Farmers and Agricultural Service Providers
- Maryland Farmers Market Association: Farm Pickup Locations
- Direct Local Food Purchasing Locations in the DMV Region
- Farmer Relief Fund program details
- Future Harvest CASA: Safety Protocols for Food Distribution and Purchases
- Direct Buy Farms in the DMV: Please complete this form if you are offering pickup/delivery
- Launch a Farmstead Bakery: Recipes and Resources
- Maryland Farmers Market Association: Social Media Toolkit
- University of Maryland Department of Plant Sciences and Landscape Architecture: Food Safety Newsletter for Maryland Farmers
Food Safety Resources:
Washington Post article: Food Shopping, Delivery, and Packages
- Serious Eats: Food Safety and Coronavirus Comprehensive Guide
- Food Politics: Fresh Produce and Food Safety during COVID-19
North Carolina State University: Food Safety Guidelines
Food Research and Action Center Update: Recent federal legislation has been proposed related to school meals and food benefits programs, which seeks to protect food insecure residents who may have more limited food access if schools and select food retailers close.
- Supporting Farmers Markets during COVID-19
- MoCo Made Businesses: Delivery/Pick-up Services and Online Ordering Options
- Montgomery County Facility Closures
Please follow us on social media @MoCoFoodCouncil for more up-to-date information.